Bucks 22-0 Skyllas 2

The SRU National Women’s League kicked off on the 10th December 2016 where Skyllas 2 took on Bucks RFC Women’s. Skyllas 2; a budding team featuring 13 debutants stepped onto the pitch fearlessly as they faced the runner up of last season, ready to put up a good fight. The heavy forwards in green and red pounded the Skyllas girls who defended resiliently and despite countless attempts from Bucks to penetrate them, it took Bucks a long 27 minutes to slot in their first try in the 60 minute match.

It was evident that Bucks were physically bigger and stronger than the girls decked in blue. Combined with the fatigue faced by Skyllas 2, Bucks managed to gather themselves back to score 3 more tries in the second half with their physicality and strong support play. In the end, Bucks walked away with a win, with the match ending at 22-0. The spirits of Skyllas 2 were not dampened as the side looks to continue their fervent performance throughout this season.

SCC 22:18 Bucks RFC

The SCC 1sts hosted Bucks for the first Premiership game of the season on the historic Padang. Great conditions on and off the field promised some great rugby, which always comes with added passion when these two clubs meet. Bucks scored a controversial try relatively early on, where there winger scored in the corner despite being double hit by two SCC defenders, and driven into touch, but the referee deemed it a legitimate grounding. SCC quickly responded with a good restart, and with Bucks pinned in their own 22 and the SCC defensive shape & line speed looking good forced a fumble by Bucks which was picked up by the SCC Flanker Drew Byrnes to score a much needed interception try to score under the under the posts to even the score. SCC tend struck next with a classic training ground move which saw Taylor Haynes cap off a team try in the corner. Another finely worked set piece move by the SCC saw their resident Fijian Valu score almost from the halfway line just as the teams headed into the break, with the SCC leading 22 – 7.

The break seemed to have spurred Bucks on a little, clearly not missing the on field spark of the injured Charlie Lambert as they roared to life in the second half. Alex Cook was massive for Bucks in the pack and the SCC started to show some cracks, Penalty after penalty killed any momentum SCC had, and it became a bit of a dog fight. Determined to try and pick it up, the last passage of play was frantic end-to-end stuff. Both teams running and chucking the ball about, in a tiring and energy draining period. Dropped balls, gain line battles, tiring heads and poor defensive structure allowed bucks to score a try and several penalties to end the game 22 – 18 to the SCC. It was a game of two halves for both teams, and certainly a game for both to work on heading into the Christmas break.

Bedok Kings RFC 22:18 Saints RFC

Over at Yio Chu Kang stadium, Saints RFC took on Bedok Kings RFC. Both sides were dealing with a number of their players being called up for national duty, contributing a significant number of players to the National Under 19 team heading up for the Asian Rugby Championships. Saints however had on paper a stronger side with the return of their national sevens reps. It was a boggy ground at YCK as the teams kicked off and Bedok looking very much the dominant team. A miskick from the defending Saints saw Bedok score to open accounts. Saints slowly found their feet and intched forward with 2 penalty conversions from Hisham to lead 6 – 5 halfway through the half. The Kings backline led by young bucks Kyle Cheong and Maverick Lim were finding gaps in the more valuted Saints backline and  it was some robust defending that prevented more scores. The dam had to break sometime though as Bedok’s pack, led by Paul Vaultin started to get a roll on. A brilliant run from former national age group flanker Kaisen saw Kings pull ahead as the half wore down. Almost immediately thought, Saints seemed to have been jolted awake and returned with a brilliant backline passing move that saw the winger Taufiq score in the corner. 17 – 11 was the halftime score.

Saints seemed determined after the break, and a series of pick and goes after a brilliant run from national sevens rep Nicholas Yau almost saw Joanthan Leow score, only for him to knock the ball on the line. It was a frustrating day at the office for the Saints as they did not make use of the possession gifted to them, and found themselves trailing 22- 11 with 10minutes to go. Again the saints seemed to have roared back to life, and scored again through their backs after some great forward work to make the score 22 – 18. The last 4 minutes were nail biting as the Saints tried to squeeze out that knockout try but it was too little too late as Bedok edged out a win.


Premiership Fixtures: http://www.singaporerugby.com/calendar/2017-premiership-fixtures/

Championship Fixtures: http://www.singaporerugby.com/calendar/2017-championship-fixtures/

Womens League Fixtures: http://www.singaporerugby.com/calendar/2017-womens-fixtures/



Bedok Kings RFC 22:18 Saints RFC

SCC 22:18 Bucks RFC


Bedok Kings RFC 13:48 Wanderers 2nd

SCC Lions 41:12 Oldham Gold

Wanderers 3rd 5:58 Oldham Blue

SCC Tankards 30:10 Bucks RFC

Womens League:

Bucks 22-0 Skyllas 2

Photo Credit: David Ash