The SCC Tankards concluded the SRU League Season for both Premiership and Championship divisions with a 28 -18 win over a spirited Bedok Kings 2nd XV on Saturday 31st March. It was the Tankards 18th win in 20 years, with their participation in the Premiership division for 2 years the reason for the absence of wins, and completed a memorable double achievement for the SCC Rugby Section.

The game kicked off in scorching conditions, with the SCC Tankards fielding a hugely experienced lineup that included a mix of former and current Singapore Internationals such as Sidney Kumar, Jon Lee, Daniel Marc Chow and Jay Heikel. Bedok Kings had a more youthful feel to their lineup with the likes of ex-internationals Andrew Lee and Daniel Thiam steering them in the right direction. From the kickoff, the Tankards asserted dominance, with the Kings taking their chances in turnovers and simple mistakes. The Tankards backline was looking imposing, and it was off one such run that saw the Tankards opening their accounts. Kings opened their accounts with a well-taken penalty before the dominant Tankards pack propelled their young Japanese Tyro over the line after a great steal and run from the wise beyond his years Daniel Marc Chow.

The Kings backline was keen to run at every opportunity, and it was some stout defense that prevented them from breaking the line. Tankards ended the half with a penalty conversion and went into the halftime break 15 – 3 up.

The Tankards started the 2nd half much like the first, with some solid defense propelling their attack. The sun had come down and the cool respite seemed to raise the passion and enthusiasm from both sides. No less than 4 yellow cards were dished out in this half alone due to high tackles. Jay Heikel scored a brace of tries that needed the insight of a Television Match Official, and the tankards looked comfortable 25-3 as the final 20mins beckoned. Kings were not going down easily though and scored 3 tries in a space of 15 mins to start worrying the Tankards bench. A couple of missed penalties from the evergreen David Griffins did not help, but all was not lost as the almost quinquagenarian used all his experience to step back off a scrum at 40m and slot over a fine drop goal to close the scoring at 28 -18.

It was a hugely entertaining final, and one that was enjoyed by all, even the kids who had balloons and a bouncy castle to play with. Bellies were filled and thirsts quenched and the Tankards went into the sunset happy to place the Championship cup next to the Premiership trophy, something not seen in 21 years. Congratulations to all teams from all divisions who played this season, and don’t fret as rugby season will soon be upon us again!